Laugh with us, cry with us, and learn about AUTISM!

Wednesday 31 October 2012

Autism… When Did It Start? Pt. 2 - AKA - Josie, Age 1 to 1.5


Josie’s first birthday party was a big affair.  We had dozens of people over, set up a big tent outside, and enjoyed the sunshine.  Our daughter was at her finest, toddling along, smiling at everybody, and enjoying herself.  While she didn’t have much interest in her unwrapping her presents, or eating her cake, everybody had a wonderful time.  I was pregnant again by that point, although we had told very few people, as we didn’t want to take the attention away from Josie on her big day.


My pregnancy went along well, I was nauseous and had heart burn constantly, but nothing serious.  Josie continued to do well, always seeming like she was ahead of her peers.  We enjoyed going to playgroup, colouring, building with blocks, and playing outside.  As far as I can recall, everything went along normally, and Josie continued to develop on schedule, at least until the new year.  One thing that I realize now, is that after her initial few words, she did not gain any more.  She was still within the normal speech milestones though.

Christmas was fun, Josie unwrapped a number of her gifts herself, and seemed to enjoy it.  She played with her new toys, and had a blast.  New Years Eve was also great, although I had a bad cold, we all still enjoyed a family party.

My recollection is a little fuzzy after that.  Everything kind of blends together.  I was very pregnant, very tired, and not focussing all of my attention on Josie.  I had tons of doctors appointments, was trying to get everything ready for the new baby.  It took me a long time to stop blaming myself for this.  But, the fact of the matter is that this would have happened no matter what I had done.  

I am certain that her regression and some of the other autistic traits began sometime between New Years Day and Sofia’s birth.  I am embarrassed to say that I did not notice until at least March, when the severity of the situation increased.  Even then though, I didn’t suspect Autism.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...